- To create socio-cultural and community environments that favour the development of people, especially those who experience difficulties, with the aim of working toward inclusion and promoting social change.
- To contribute to the creation and consolidation of an inclusive social and fabric, and to favour work in social networks.
- To improve the social and cultural conditions of citizens.
- To promote respect for individual and group differences, with particular attention paid to those differences that can generate discrimination and inequality.
- To favour the development of people’s skills and aptitudes so that they can achieve the maximum level of autonomy.
- To identify people with personality difficulties and help them adapt to society .
- To encourage critical thinking and the capacity for comprehension, analysis, intervention and the evaluation of social realities.
List of specific competences related to knowledge and skills expected of graduates.
- Understanding the theoretical, historical, cultural, political, environmental and legal concerns that make the human being the protagonist of education.
- Understanding the historical trajectory of social education, the current trends in the field and professional identity, with special attention paid to EU initiatives.
- Being familiar with philosophical, pedagogical, psychological, sociological and anthropological theories, and with any other theoretical foundations of socio-educational intervention and its spheres of action.
- Analysing needs such as designing, applying and evaluating plans, programmes, projects and activities of socio-educational intervention in diverse contexts.
- Knowing how to use socio-pedagogical procedures and techniques for intervention, mediation and analysis of personal, family and community and institutional realities in order to resolve any possible conflicts.
- Managing structures and processes of participation and community action.
- Showing an empathetic, respectful, supportive and trustworthy attitude towards subjects and institutions of social education.
- Developing language skills that make work in multicultural and multilingual surroundings possible.
- Designing and carrying out research projects about the social and institutional settings in which intervention takes place.
- Designing, using and evaluating learning materials and resources in socio-educational intervention.
List of general competences related to teamwork, communication, problem solving, etc.
- Capacity for criticism, analysis, synthesis, organisation and planning.
- Ability to learn autonomously, adapt to new situations, adopt an open attitude towards life-long learning and to nurture creativity, initiatives and an enterprising spirit.
- Capacity for oral and written communication, in both one’s native and a foreign language, and for the use of information technologies (ICTs) in professional contexts through the selection and management of knowledge and of information.
- Ability to work on a team, to guide and lead groups, to resolve conflicts, to make decisions and to develop interpersonal relationship skills.
- Ability to make ethical commitments, respect the fundamental rights of equality between men and women, promote human rights and values inherent to a culture of peace and democratic values, and to make personal and professional commitments to the community.